View Single Post
Old 04-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #17
pstinard
YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneofakind864 View Post
I was emailed a list of commercial dog foods that avoid the pitfalls of most commercial dog foods. These are posted in a different thread. Also included with the list was a list of foods that were excluded for a variety of reasons. Some of the reasons may be more or less valid to you individually. But I took the two lists to my vet and he had no disagreements with the information contained in either. Again- The list of "suggested foods" is in a separate post. But these are the brands that you may want to avoid if the ingredients are something you would rather prevent your dogs from ingesting. The main concern is the use of non-human grade products, or ingredients that have a higher "allergy" rate than other options, and/or ingredients that simply are not beneficial to your pets dietary needs...and in some cases potentially detrimental to those needs. The choice is up to you this is just additional information that can possibly help you make a better informed decision.

Also, before any of you get defensive and tell me how long you have been feeding your dogs _______ and they have lived long and healthy lives, let me say I have also fed my dogs the foods in this list. And even though most did live long lives- it makes you wonder if the might have had even MORE time with a higher quality dog food. My last dog developed allergies and kidney problems while eating the Royal Canin Yorkie Blend. And yes my current puppy is on the puppy blend of Royal Canin right now- but I think I will gradually move her to an approved brand. I have nothing to lose and possibly a few extra years with my baby to gain. In my humble opinion... it can't hurt to try. And it might even help- which is the reason for this post.

And again... this is simply a list that has been emailed to me and my vet said he saw nothing wrong or inaccurate with the information contained. He also agreed that the suggested foods had valid points for being considered superior to the foods on this list. I will post the suggested foods in a separate post. But will not include all the reasons or ingredients. If you'd like more detailed information you need to check out the website this information came from. Provided at the bottom of the list.

COMMERCIAL DOG FOOD BRANDS YOU MAY WANT TO AVOID:

Alpo -Use of Chicken By-products and Poultry By-product Meal, Corn as 1st Ingredient

Back To Basics Use of Menadione

Beneful Corn as 1st Ingredient, Use of Chicken By-product Meal & Animal Digest

Bil-Jac Use of Chicken By-products & Chicken By-product Meal

Caribou Creek Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Dried Egg Product, Fish Meal, Poultry Fat, Dried Blood Meal & Fish Oil

Cycle Corn as 1st Ingredient, Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Animal Fat, Animal Digest & BHA/BHT

Eukanuba Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product & Fish Oil

Gravy Train Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Soybean Meal as 2nd Ingredient, Beef & Bone Meal, Animal Fat, Animal Digest, Beef Broth, Artificial Flavor/Color and BHA/BHT

Iams Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Fish Meal, Dried Egg Product & Fish Oil

Kasco Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Poultry Fat, Fish Meal & Dried Egg Product

Kibbles 'n Bits Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Soybean Meal as 2nd ingredient, Beef & Bone Meal, Animal Fat, BHA/BHT, Animal Digest and Artificial Flavor/Color

Natural Balance Use of non-specific Fish Broth, Fish Meal & nonspecific Vitamin K Supplement

Nature's Recipe Use of Menadione

Pedigree Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Chicken By-product Meal, Meat Meal, Meat & Bone Meal, Animal Fat, BHA/BHT, Natural Poultry Flavor

PetsMart Use of Animal Fat & Dried Egg Product

Pinnacle Allergen-Free Use of Grapeseed Oil

Precise Use of non-specific Fish Oil & Menadione

Premium Edge Use of non-specific Ocean Fish Meal & Egg Product

Pro Plan Use of Poultry By-product Meal, Animal Fat, Fish Meal, Animal Digest & Dried Egg Product

Purina Dog Chow Use of Corn as 1st Ingredient, Poultry By-product Meal, Animal Fat, Animal Digest & Artificial Flavor/Color

Royal Canin Use of Dried Egg Powder & non-specific Fish Oil

Science Diet Use of Chicken By-product Meal, Animal Fat & Dried Egg Product

Solid Gold Use of non-specific Ocean Fish, Beef Meal & recent "Dry Dog Food Formula Changes" which are cost based (see website "News & Announcements"). Some changes made are positive, however.

Sensible Choice Use of Dried Egg Product & non-specific Fish Meal & Fish Oil

Three Dog Bakery Use of Dried Egg Product

Viand Use of Menadione

www.Healthy-K9.com
Okay, my tongue has healed. The justifications for trashing the dog foods on this list are bogus. One example is menadione (vitamin K). In the small amounts it appears in dogfood, it is safe. See: Vitamin K3 (menadione) in Pet Food: Is It Safe? | The SkeptVet

Likewise, grapeseed oil is safe. Grapes are not safe, but the oil is fine. See: Grapeseed Oil | ASPCA

As in humans, gluten is not a problem for dogs unless they are specifically allergic to it: Is Gluten-Free Dog Food Better? | Dog Allergies to Gluten | petMD

Named sources of proteins and oils are desirable from the point of view of the consumer (so you know exactly what you're getting, and to avoid allergies if your pet is allergic to a specific source), but if the company has nutritionists on staff, and excellent quality control, even that doesn't have to be a problem.

I view this list of dog foods as bogus, at least as far as the reasons given go.
pstinard is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!