View Single Post
Old 01-20-2015, 03:26 PM   #12
Maximo
♥ Maximo and Teddy
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkiemini View Post
My little 3 lb 10 oz Yorkie survived a hawk attack a couple years ago. There is a thread somewhere here on Yorkie talk about it.

All of the wild life experts kept saying that those Hawks would never go for anything they could not carry and that she was too big (that is why I got a citation for a fine of $10,000brcause they were convinced that I had killed the hawk). I now know so much more

Hawks will try to disable or kill their pray with their talons an then take the prey to their young or some place else to eat. However, there are some who will attack and then eat the preynright then a no there If the environment is safe, and these will go larger prey. They do, however, prefer easier prey, but when they are hungry they will go anything.

But they do keep saying,mother won't go for the 6 or 7 pound dog -- then I keep hearing stories like this! Bottom line is -- we have to protect our babies all the time!

My Little Cali killed the hawk, and I could not begin to describe the fight for her life she went through. (and what it took for me to prove I did not kill the hawk! Because a minimum of 30 days in jail went with that fine!)

I live n a suburban area and see Hawks all the time. Unfortunately my nice fenced yard is no longer a place my baby can out to at her leisure. She does not get to go out without me!!!!!!! But that hawk is protected and gets free range!

Don't telll anyone you heard it here-- but I told my attorney that if any hawk comes after my baby again, I will kill it and burying to China and no one will ever know!! So keep that in mind. Unfortunately and fortunately, too many people in my neighborhood saw the hawk attack and Cali fight so it could not be kept a secret -- and a lady in the neighborhood after hearing about Cali called the Fish and Wildlife folks and complained that her kitten went missing and now she thinks a hawk got them, so put more interest on my neighborhood at the time.

The Hawks will start nesting soon and raising the young and that is the most dangerous times for our little ones. So stay vigilant! And, beware of all those stories that our babies are too big for the hawks to be interested in them- I have watched hawks and owls at a local park take rabbits bigger than my little girl!

It took an autopsy by the vets to prove that Cali broke the Hawks neck (which is how the Yorkies killed their prey in the wool mills) during their fight for the government to finally decide I did not kill the hawk.

Of course, now I have a plan and the tools to kill a hawk--Hehehehe!

Don't underestimate those Hawks- they are very efficient and experienced at what they do!
A hawk attacked and nearly killed our neighbor's 9 pound Yorkie, same size as my boys. After seeing Jack's drainage tubes and scars, my dad started taking me seriously about the hawk and owl threat.

Just this week, I let Max on the deck, which we have enclosed with xpens, and 2 red shoulder hawks swooped into our back yard. I usually stay out on the deck with the doggies, but I had stepped right inside the door to watch.

Cali is awesome and fearless.

I'm also glad the little Yorkie in this story survived his terrifying ordeal.

Maximo is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!