View Single Post
Old 04-01-2014, 12:05 PM   #11
jp4m2
Love my Boys
Donating Member

At the risk of derailing this thread I wanted to address the remarks directed at my post concerning Dr.Dodds. Personally, I have great respect and admiration for Dr. Dodds (and Dr. Schultz). The " cult like following" she (and Dr. Schultz) has is from pet owners and veterinarians who are seeking out alternative /complimentary ways to care for our pets. Many pet owners have witnessed firsthand the devastating, and sometimes deadly, outcome in following current medical advice and treatments. To insinuate that only cult like people would be interested in her is such a slap in the face to her and to Dr. Schultz. I find the term a bit distasteful to say the least.

Dr. Dodds has also seen same decline in pet health over the course of her practice and was brave enough to follow her convictions to look into what may be contributing to this decline of our pets health . In doing so she has had to endure much criticism and shunning from her own colleagues to accomplish all the work she has done to help our pets. I have no doubt there are many vets who are reluctant to change would not be to open to new studies and the contradicting information these studies are producing. Because this information runs contrary to what their schooling had taught them, change is difficult for them. A veterinarian had a duty to keep up with the ever changing science and be willing to accept the fact change may be order.

As for "why" the AAHA is so reluctant to accept this "new" protocol to reduce the vaccinations our pets. This is not new information, Dr. Schultz has studies from approx. thirty years ago proving the DOI was longer than thought. These organizations exist primarily to benefit their members, not the public at large. When you have millions of dollars coming in from the very people your dependant on (Pharm. Co.) there exists a huge conflict of interest to do right. Dr. Schultz, who is also a board member of the AAHA admitted the recommendation for the three year vaccine protocol was not based on any scientific studies, it was an arbitrary number chosen to give the illusion to the public they were concerned about their pets best interests and to not tick off the veterinarians for they feared the of loss of income they would lose. Dr. Schultz has studies from as far back as the 1970's showing the DOI was much longer the one year recommendation. He was pushing to change the annual vaccinations recommendation to a tri-annual recommendation back then, with much resistance. Finally in 2003 the AAHA changed its recommendation to tri-annual protocol, which took them over twenty five years to acknowledge this work and make these changes. Dr. Schulz says even this was not enough.

For the record Dr. Dodds is a very accomplished DMV which I'm sure she worked very hard to earn her prestigious resume:

Dr. Dodds gives lectures all over the world on a variety of veterinary topics including clinical pathology, hematology, blood banking, immunology, endocrinology, nutrition, and holistic medicine.

In 1986, Dr. Dodds created a non-profit animal blood bank called Hemopet, which set the standard for veterinary transfusion medicine. She also created Pet Life-Line, a greyhound rescue and adoption program.

Dr. Dodds also formed Hemolife Diagnostics at the same time. Hemolife is a division of Hemopet that provides full-service laboratory diagnostics and expert interpretation of results.

1964 D.V.M. degree with honors from the Ontario Veterinary College, University of Toronto

1986 to Present Established Hemopet, the first nonprofit national blood bank program for animals

Dr. Dodds also assisted Antech Diagnostics and to establish its IFA testing method (published in JAVMA 2000) and with its thyroid testing antibody profiles.

From 1965-1986, she was a member of many national and international committees on hematology, animal models of human disease, veterinary medicine, and laboratory animal science.

Dr. Dodds was a grantee of the National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute (NIH) and has over 150 research publications.

She was formerly President of the Scientist’s Center for Animal Welfare
Chairman of the Committee on Veterinary Medical Sciences
Vice-Chairman of the Institute of Laboratory Animal Resources, National Academy of Sciences.

In 1974 Dr. Dodds was selected as Outstanding Woman Veterinarian of the Year, AVMA Annual Meeting, Denver, Colorado
jp4m2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!