View Single Post
Old 06-23-2013, 09:21 AM   #21
mimimomo
Don't Litter Spay&Neuter
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugarmamma View Post
I take this to mean any meat listed as meal?

Meat Meal. AAFCO defines meat meal significantly different than meat. Though the ingredient name implies it should be ‘meat’ moisture removed and the definition of ‘meat’ is muscle tissue – meat meal can include almost any part of mammal tissue excluding blood, hair, hide, manure, stomach and contents of. As well, ‘meat’ by definition is sourced from slaughtered mammals, meat meal does not have this specification. In other words, by its official definition, this ingredient can include animals that have died prior to slaughter (illegal per federal law for human and animal foods – such as euthanized animals and/or animals that have died in the field). This ingredient is listed on pet food labels with the species descriptor – such as beef meal, venison meal, and so on.

This ingredient could consist of a high level of bone. There is some science that links high levels of bone in meat meal ingredients to bone cancer. Click Here to learn more.

Meat meal ingredients would be a quality ingredient if sourced from a USDA inspected and approved animal.

Questions to ask the pet food manufacturer about their meat meal ingredient…
1. Is the meat used in the meal ingredient USDA inspected and approved? (Make certain they respond to ‘approved’ – many manufacturers will state something like ‘Our chicken comes from USDA inspected facilities’. This does not answer your question. Rejected for use in human food chicken ‘comes from USDA inspected facilities’.)
2. Does the meal include bone?
Yes, it's listed in the ingredient as 'meat', like the ingredient I posted above of kibble & bits, it says 'meat & bone meal'...it comes from rendering 4D meats, euthanized, slaughtered, farm animals, zoo animals...

Now I'm not sure about the venison meal & other named meat meals & if the meal has bone in it. This is what Canine Caviar says about their venison meat (this is what I feed my guys): http://www.caninecaviar.com/glossary/venison-meal/

Just linked it bc it won't let me copy. I guess the best thing to do is contact the company & ask...& see what they say.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!