Old 01-25-2013, 07:06 AM   #47
lynzy420
Donating YT 3000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyDC View Post
Got this from my cousin:
[Looks to me like a buildup of protein “Waste Products”
certainly can cause kidney or liver damage.]

Medical Information: Kidney Disease (Kidney Failure, Nephritis)

Among the most subtle and important of the many toxic threats to the kidneys are the excess amounts of proteins that are consumed by the average person who eats our rich American foods. The daily intake of more proteins than the body really needs means that the excess must be eliminated through the kidneys. We're equipped with no storage depots for proteins, as we are for fats.

The proteins not used for body repair and growth float around in the blood stream until they are metabolized by the liver and their remnants are removed by the kidneys. The filtering units in the kidneys are called nephrons. Destruction of these nephrons occurs directly from exposure to those proteins or to the products of their degradation. The damage from excessive intake of proteins is so common that, in an otherwise healthy person, 25-50% of the functional capacity of the kidneys will be destroyed after eight decades of high living American-style. Even so, we're lucky to have much reserve tissue to rely on: with only 25% of kidney function remaining, plenty of tissue cells still survive to handle the waste products of body metabolism, and the damaged and failing kidneys go unnoticed. Our bodies are very forgiving!

So looks to me like indeed this paragraph is indeed correct.

Quote from CC: ""A buildup of protein waste products causes kidney or liver damage. High-protein diets often promote foods such as red meat and full-fat dairy products. Some experts believe a diet rich in these foods can increase your risk of heart disease. A high-protein diet may cause liver or kidney problems because the body may have trouble eliminating all the waste products of protein metabolism.""
Off topic a bit....

Buttttt, this Dr. you are quoting is a well known vegetarian guru and some consider extremist. He makes his money off of a diet plan based on statements HE BELIEVES, much like the one you are quoting. He, writes books, lectures etc. and even has a program were you can go for 10 days to get on his diet etc., I would be more comfortable with a quote or comment from someone who was medically sound and had real intensive research to back it up and not just trying to make a living from it. (Think Dr. Adkins, same premise different diet) A very good friend of mine became sick on his diet and shouldn't have ever been on it in the first place, not HIS fault per say...but she really believed every word he said.

There is no question that CC is a wonderful product for some, I'm even going to try a different sample of it...but I think this whole thread is going off topic and I would hate for anyone to be confused, misguided or otherwise....I would hope each of us would choose the best dog food for our pups and do so by reading the labels, talking to our vets and if possible a vet nutritionist and reading our personal reviews. Some pups need a special diet, some even a prescription diet eventually we all find what works for our pups...I am still trying, but eventually I will find it!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!