View Single Post
Old 01-03-2013, 01:14 PM   #9
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkpup View Post
Thank you guys for the warm welcome, and for spending the time to give us very valuable advises.

Besides the YTCA breeder list, there is also a breeder classifies on AKC, would this one also be a good one to refer to? Mandiesmom, you mentioned that not all good breeders will be list on the YTCA list... how do I go about finding the others? What are some common places/listings for breeders to make themselves known to the public?

I agree with the attitude and stubbornness comments... That's one of the traits that makes them so adorable for us... I think the animal planet dogs 101 video on Yorkies call it the Napoleon dog syndrome, big dog in a little dog body.

While the AKC is a good and reliable registry, not all their breeders are what I would call good breeders. Even a puppy mill can be with the AKC as long as they are following their state laws. The Yorkshire Terrier Club of America is a group of breeders who have promised to uphold rules and ethics regarding the breeding of Yorkies, there are still a few poor breeders who have snuck in and aren't interested in "bettering the breed", but more interesting in bettering their standard of living, but you can weed them out by asking the right questions. The reason, I always recommend the YTCA is because there is a breeder in nearly every state, and you can find one on the list that's within driving distance. Do not buy from a any breeder sight unseen, please visit the premises before you buy a pup. Breeders who sell directly to the public do not have to have a kennel license and some of the worst puppy mills are run by breeders who sell over the internet.

Join today and remove this ad!