View Single Post
Old 12-29-2012, 01:59 PM   #8
Teresa Ford
Therapy Yorkies Work
Donating Member

Why should I crate train my puppy ? What kind works best ?

I prefer wire crates. You can leave it open or cover it to make a snuggy den.
I think all dogs should be crate trained. Almost all dogs will have to be in a crate at some point in their life. Crating should not cause more stress but , make them feel safer in a stressful situation. Your Yorkie will have to be crated, if they are ill or have to stay at the Vets over night, or have surgery. Dogs can travel on a train, ship, or air planes and stay in many motels, if they can be crated and behave nicely. If a disaster happens, a hurricane, flood, earth quake, mud slide, tornado, or fire and you have to leave your home, a crate is a safe secure place for your dog to be during transport. ALL Animal friendly shelters require dogs to be crated when inside the shelter building. Dogs that bark excessively, whine, act crazy or aggressive etc. will not be allowed to stay.
I know this first hand, we had to leave our home here in Fla. because of a hurricane. My dogs behaved beautifully, they were cozy dry, had their own, blankets toys , food and crates. Some people had to rush to Wal-mart and buy a crate before it closed. Their dogs (and Cats) barked, whined, or screamed and tried to get out of the crate. Several people had to put their dogs outside the building, under a tarp, so people could sleep. It was sad and awful for everyone. Please crate train your puppy, you will be glad you did.

Last edited by Teresa Ford; 12-29-2012 at 02:01 PM.
Teresa Ford is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!