View Single Post
Old 12-27-2012, 01:56 PM   #2
gemy
YT 2000 Club
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MishyMish View Post
I may not be posting in the right section, but...

I am curious to know about how much does training play into the misbehaving Yorkie or any dog for that matter. If people that come from good homes can potentially be bad, doesn't the same apply to dogs?

In the case of the misbehaved dog, how much of it is due to the lack of proper training vs. dogs personality ?
Good question. I do know that there is a very very tiny percentage of dogs that are born with for want of a better word, some weird wiring in the brain. Ie genetic. It can create a multiple of behavioural issues.

IMO - misbehaving dogs is almost always the fault of the owners. Lack of socialization, lack of training, lack of re-inforcing the training. Allowing dogs to get away with behaviour that is "cute" as a puppy but not so much as an adult.

Personality is always present in dogs. Some learn faster, some slower. Some are more outgoing, some not. Some have a natural inclination to love the game of chase and fetch, some do not. Some are more curious, some more shy. Some are mischeivous, some more serious. Some need more space, and some just want to be cuddle bugs.

But you as the owner shape your dog, especially when received as a pup. From the moment our pups come home, they begin to learn to love toys. We play fetch and chase and chew and release. We do this everyday, we do this many places. So my dogs have huge toy drive - which is a real bonus for training in more formal aspects. Their rewards are their toys.

It is possible to take a low drive dog and over time build that dog into a high drive one. For the most part it is up to you! Your own commitment, drive, dedication, and knowledge.

So I am saying I am on the side of environment and nuture being a huge predicator of a happy adult dog.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!