View Single Post
Old 12-26-2012, 06:59 PM   #1
happysparents
Senior Yorkie Talker

Confused Discussion with Merta (Long post)

I have already decided to get a Biewer baby from Donna. But I decided to check the ad posted on Kijiji by Merta. I saw some red flags with Merta, but overall experience was satisfactory. Below are the red flags,

1. She has MANY dogs. I personally counted around 9 Yorkies (2 of them are pups for sale), 1 Biewer female, 1 maltipoo and I was hearing some barking sounds from the basement. So I believe there are more dogs in her basement. Most of them were adults.

2. When I reached their house, her husband greeted me. Merta was supposed to be in the basement, bathing pups. Now, this is something which I felt weird because, "she was getting the pups ready for visit".

3. She said she covers for genetic diseases, but did not mention anything about luxating patella in her contract nor while talking, until I inquired about it.

4. The mother of so called F1 Yorkie-Biewer pup died 2 days after C-section. She said she got her from Germany and is devastated with the loss and she was "small". But I did not understand why she bred such a small female at first place.

5. All her Yorkies, including the pups which are for sale are short but heavy. I am not familiar with such things in a Yorkie. Happy was sturdy but he had long legs. I might be wrong in this, but I would like to hear from all of you guys. Does anyone has a Yorkie who has short legs and a really heavy body? Plus their stomach area was very heavy.

6. Although it looked like she cares for her Yorkies, she allows them to jump on and from the couch. These lil guys are so delicate, I just could not understand how is she allowing them to jump.

7. She is breeding Yorkies and Biewers and she said she has maltese also. So I think she might have used it in some breeding program earlier.

8. The most fascinating thing which I heard from her is the definition of a Biewer. She said its a black and white Yorkie. She said she got one from Germany, then I believe she should have known that its a different breed as per the German website. I am no expert in this. I would like you guys to share your thoughts.

9. She feeds raw diet (a mix of chicken, beef and veggies), plus Royal Canin. She said that she gets the meat from a butcher whose expertise is in preparing meat especially for dogs. I wonder if this is true. She never described what is the recipe and whether it was prescribed from a nutritionist. She also prepares treats within her home. I have been with Yorkies for a while and I know that if the raw diet is not administered properly, the amount of ammonia in the body would increase due to lack of protein digestion. I am skeptical about her feeding habits.

10. She is asking $1000 but the contract does not tell anything about neutering or breeding rights. I am attaching the copy of contract.

11. She talked about canned foods and after feeding canned foods, the pooh of her yorkies has very bad smell. Now, this should be the case of indigestion of protein. But she did not acknowledge it.

One of the good things which I noticed is that she does not cage dogs. The dogs are in the kitchen area and are free fed.

Please share your thoughts. From my perspective I have made the "RIGHT" decision by taking the pup from Donna. Although the pups are gorgeous,I thought its a risk.
Attached Thumbnails
Discussion with Merta (Long post)-scan0001_1.jpg  
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!