View Single Post
Old 11-07-2012, 12:53 PM   #6
sportschick
Senior Yorkie Talker

Beanie is almost 16 months old now. She had one rabies shot by the breeder (her vet only gives 1/2 of the shot) and has had all of her other shots. In Mass., you HAVE to give the dog the rabies shot a year after the 1st shot, then 3 years after that. But I did some research and there is now a way to request a waiver if the vet will sign something saying she had a bad reaction. I will certainly go that route. She is supposedly "due" for the core booster shots. But why do I have to give her these shots if she is at a VERY low risk of getting anything? She doesn't go near other dogs, I don't take her walking in parks, she is never off leash and is in the house most of the time. If these dogs are at such a high risk of vaccine reaction and at a low risk for getting the diseases they are supposed to prevent, what sense does it make to put them at such a risk? It would be like giving your child the measles/mumps vaccine every year. Or giving yourself a tetnus shot every year.

As far as her going to a new vet, I had taken her to a vet last April (I got her in Feb.) to get her heartworm medication and the vet was horrible. She was totally against buying a dog from a breeder and did not like Yorkies. She told me Beanie had luxating patella, grade 2 and 3 in her knees and that she would need surgery right away. She also told me that her heart "sounded funny". I was in a state of shock when I left. I had to take her back there awhile later because she had very dry skin and I saw a different vet who was wonderful, but was going to leave the practice. She didn't say a word about her knees and said her heart was fine.

This new vet place examined her head to toe (including her knees) and said she looked to be totally healthy. They didn't say a word about her knees being bad and said her heart was fine. They also said that it was up to me if I wanted to give her any more vaccines. I really like this place. When I called this a.m. crying because I thought my dog was dying, they brought us right in and only charged me $12.00 for the Rimadyl (which I am NOT giving her). There was no charge for the follow up visit for the vaccine reaction.

I will certainly check out the vaccine threads here to see if I am going to do this core vaccine booster. If I DO decide to do this, she won't get anything after that for a very, very long time.
sportschick is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!