View Single Post
Old 05-30-2012, 05:22 PM   #7
Yorkiemom1
Rosehill Yorkies
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teegy View Post
I've heard (not a breeder) some brand of goats milk is good for them and it's likely time for some solid food.
I do know that my breeder makes her own food and starts them on that slowly along with goats milk around 5 weeks.
Yorkiemom can you confirm.
babies should not be leaving their mothers until minimum 10-12 weeks old and 14 if they are still a little small, they still need the nurturing of the mother to learn
Breeders do things differently, for different reasons. I start weaning my babies, WITH THEIR MOMMA, at 5 weeks. If these are healthy good size babies, I mix: 1 cup goats milk + 1/2 can Royal Canin puppy mousse + 1 jar chicken baby food. Mix this up well...this will be thin malt consistancy...put this gruel in a saucer, and let them lick it up...you may need to put your finger in it and let them lick it off your finger. If I am worried about these babies being a little smaller or if I want to give them a little kick start, instead of the goat milk, I use the formula I use to tube feed my newborns that need supplementing. When they are 6 weeks old, I advance to: 1.5 cups goats milk + 1/2 can RC baby mousse + 1 jar baby food (chicken) + 1/2 cup ground up puppy starter kibble. This is also malt consistancy. At 7 weeks: 1/2 can mousse + 1 cup ground puppy starter kibble + 1/2 cup distilled water + 1/2 cup goats milk...mix it up and this is getting the consistancy of grits or cream of wheat or oatmeal.... At 8 weeks, I am using no goats milk, just the distilled water to moisten the mixture....and I just keep backing down on the water and letting it get thicker and thicker....9 weeks I am moistening the course ground kibble with a little water.....10 weeks, whole kibble with a little water,...11 weeks just whole kibble ........`by the time they go out to new owners @ 12-14 weeks old, they are eating kibble WELL for about 2-3 weeks.

Last edited by Yorkiemom1; 05-30-2012 at 05:23 PM.
Yorkiemom1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!