View Single Post
Old 03-16-2012, 03:39 PM   #1
LeighJ
Yorkie Talker

Default Help! Yorkie attacking my other dog

Hi all. I am hoping to get some feedback on how to handle this. I have 2 Yorkies. I have a 12 year old Yorkie, Hally, and, Zoey, who will be 2 yrs old in June. The 2 year old has been with the older one since she was a puppy. I have always kept them together during the day when I am gone. They get along o.k. and have always played. The younger one always gets jealous when I give the other one attention, but never fought, more just trying to get her out of the way so I pay her attention instead. They have never fought more than just playful fighting. Anyway, out of the blue though yesterday, when I was petting them both Zoey just ups and attacks the older one...and not in any way playful. I separated them. I just thought well maybe she just got really jealous, but it was still very weird to me. Let them back together after a little while and they seemed fine. Anyway, again today, I let them out at lunch to go use the bathroom and they both did, we came back in the house and Zoey again attacks Hally. I was in the other room and came running. She had her pinned with a grip on her ear and was just trying to tear her up. I had to pry Zoey's mouth from her ear, and as soon as I got her loose she lunged again, I stupidly placed my hand over my older dog and she bit me instead. She was biting hard too as I she broke skin and made me bleed all over. I separated them and kept one in the living room with a dog gate between them. Thankfully the older dog was o.k. and no skin was broken. Zoey is still even now trying to get at her on the other side of the gate, barking at her. I tried holding Zoey and calling Hally over and letting them make get over it all, she reached out and latched on to her ear again! The older dog is now scared of her. She is older and can't really hold her own like she could when she was young. Anyway, what would cause this all of a sudden? The younger one maybe coming in heat? I have not seen the signs of it yet, but I guess it is possible. Just worrying me how aggressive she is being. She has NEVER been an aggressive dog. I actually think she would do some real damage if she got to her. I am keeping them separated and taking out at different times.
LeighJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!