View Single Post
Old 12-10-2011, 05:25 AM   #1
pandaleigh
Donating Senior Yorkie Talker

Animal Smiley 019 Please read if you're asking "Should I see a Veterinarian"

Calling your Veterinarian is free.

YorkieTalk members are a fountain of Yorkie related knowledge and are an invaluable resource
- but if you are asking yourself or YT "Should I take my dog to the vet" you should always call your vet and ask them directly.

As a pet owner, it is important to choose a vet you trust.

If you have a vet that you can trust, you should have no problem calling them and asking them if a symptom warrants a visit to the vet's office.

If you do not currently have a vet, but are concerned and want to ask if you should take your dog to the vet:
You can still call a Veterinarian. Explain to them that you are a new patient. Tell them what is going on and ask them whether your dog should be seen or not. Ask them if it's an emergency or there is a period of time you should watch your dog for the symptom to clear up.

The same questions you would ask to YT - Ask that vet.

If you are not taking your dog to a vet because you can't afford to right now:

If it's something you have time to post on YT, it's something that, with a little research, you might be able to get free or low cost.

Many veterinary offices offer free visits to first time patients for them to look over your dog and consult with you.
Essentially, they will give you a free first visit in hopes that you become a loyal patient of theirs. If they meet your expectations, you should do exactly that. You've had your dog looked at, and you have someone you can call from now on.

If your dog does need medication, antibiotics, or anything of that sort, you will be offered that for a charge - but your office fee (usually $25-100) will be free of charge.

VCA has locations nation-wide and offer a free first time visit. VCA Animal Hospitals | Free Initial Pet Health Exam That's somewhere you can start. There are also websites like www.yelp.com and Google Places where you can check to see reviews on Veterinary offices as well as if any Veterinarians have free first time visits for patients. Those offers may not be listed, so you can also call the offices of Vets and ask them.
If you need assistance with vet bills, Please read this thread: http://www.yorkietalk.com/forums/sic...vet-bills.html

Now that you have located a vet: Keep their number handy [save it to your cell phone contacts, too]. Call them with any questions you might have - big or small - that you think might be a health concern.

Also ask them to reccomend a 24-hour Pet Hospital in your area. They should have a staff available 24-hours a day. If your vet is closed - call the pet hospital.

I cannot stress this part enough. If you ask "should I see a vet?" you should DEFINITELY call a vet and ask them.

I am very happy that we all have Yorkie Talk to share and ask each other health advice. I believe YT is a valuable resource and I am grateful for it. Members/Mods: I put this together because I felt it would be helpful for people coming to YT asking if they should see a vet - people who might not know calling a vet is free.

Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!