View Single Post
Old 06-01-2011, 07:55 AM   #3
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Default Text of Dr. Terifaj's Article

As promised, we have just finished our in-depth insurance review conducted over the past three months. We now feel like exhausted experts on this topic! Initially – after looking at ten companies – we narrowed our focus down to these three: Petplan, Embrace and Pets Best. We found many similarities at first and later, major differences were uncovered, as we interviewed these companies over the phone and purchased a policy from each one.

I jumped in first, enrolling my pit bull mix-up, Brad Pit, with Petplan; Janet – our indispensable hospital manager and long time licensed veterinary tech – signed up her dog Cookie with Embrace; Inez, our sweetheart groomer, purchased Pets Best for her newly adopted dog, Tigre. Yep, the same dog we were fostering – they had a 3 month love affair going on right under our noses!

My hat and stethoscope is off to Janet, who painstakingly studied each contract and directed my attention toward problematic areas. What follows is everything we learned and what you need to know before you enter the mind boggling world of pet insurance. We have done a lot of necessary homework and now it is your turn to compare, ask questions, and take action!
It is our greatest hope to see all our patients protected by a good pet insurance policy in the New Year. As I stressed in an earlier post, pet insurance is no longer an option – it’s a necessity if you want to make sure your pet receives state of the art medical care without maxing out your credit cards!

We want 2010 to be the year of affordable veterinary care. As a responsible pet parent, I challenge you to work an additional $25 to $35 into the monthly budget. So, if you become the unlucky pet owner faced with a $1,000 vet bill (happens every six seconds in the U.S.) don’t worry – just get your pen ready (or go on-line) and fill out your claim form!

Let’s begin…

First off is my humble apology. For the past twenty years that I have been in practice, I have largely ignored pet insurance. Why? Unfortunately, my first experience with pet insurance was a bad one and I formed a rather negative view. It was the late 80s and pet insurance was the new kid on the block. Clients complained that company X (a start-up in California) was paying less on claims than expected and taking months to reimburse them. On my clients’ behalf, I started wrestling with the insurance company for higher payouts because no one could understand their complicated benefit schedule. Fast forward to 2009… the pet insurance neighborhood has wisely matured and veterinary medicine has made remarkable advancements in its technology and treatments, which many pet parents can ill afford to take advantage of.

Now for the $2,900 question: Why would a veterinarian buy pet insurance for her own pet? Answer: In the last four years, my dog Rosie (yes, it’s true – purebreds have more problems than mutts ) has needed an MRI to diagnose an infection in her spine, eye surgery by an ophthalmologist, and most recently, an urgent visit to Advanced Critical Care and Internal Medicine (ACCIM) in Tustin on a weekend to find out why she had stopped eating.
First the good news: bad tummy ache or in medical jargon, acute gastroenteritis, and Rosie is feeling much better. Now the bad news: a routine abdominal ultrasound revealed that Rosie has a tumor on one of her adrenal glands, presumed to be malignant. Making matters worse, I did not have insurance to defray costs incurred over the last four years – nearly $3,000, and that was with generous professional discounts! Don’t worry – Rosie will get the care she needs, but that vacation I wanted to take went off to dreamland. Lesson learned the hard way, which is apparently how I learn most things.

OK now…this is going to be a long read, so be prepared to take your time, a needed potty break, or go grab a cup of Joe. Just be sure to read it ALL and leave us your thoughts or any questions in the comment section here on the blog. We always appreciate reading your comments – thanks.

We found that the major difference between the top three pet insurance companies we reviewed was how they paid on chronic ongoing conditions.

• Dollar limits per condition: Pays out a specified maximum amount covered for each diagnosed condition. Once the maximum amount has been paid out the condition will no longer be covered. This type of policy can provide a good compromise for those unable to purchase comprehensive protection offered by lifelong polices.

• Time limits per condition: Ongoing illnesses are classified as pre-existing whenever the policy renews. The condition may still be covered but the reimbursement amount is reduced. Presumed to be a better option than dollar limits.

• Lifelong: Provides the most comprehensive protection for you and your pet – full coverage for both short term and long term illnesses. Pays out the maximum dollar amount on the policy purchased and that amount will be reset each year on renewal. With Lifelong coverage, any ailment your pet is diagnosed with will receive treatment indefinitely as long as you continue to renew your policy each year.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!