View Single Post
Old 05-21-2011, 05:57 AM   #16
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Hi Amanda - I know we've been PMing, but thought I'd also lend any support you need here as well.

In your last PM, you mentioned the possibility of Atypical Cushings - and this is exactly what my Wylie has. This type of Cushings can take longer to diagnose bc the only lab in the country that does this kind of blood testing is at the U of Tennessee. Dr. Jack Oliver is the leading canine Cushings/endocrinology vet in the U.S. (if not the world).

Has your vet done an ACTH Stim test yet, or LDDS? That's a first step, even before the ultrasound, or on the same day preferably (since she would have to stay for 1/2 day for the Stim test anyway - they usually do an ultrasound then as well).

Now, for atypical -- the stim tests are borderline or inconclusive, but still suspicious. It is at that point that blood has to be sent (make sure they keep some of the blood from the pre-stim in case it needs to be sent to Dr. Oliver) to UofTenn for the Atypical testing. Here is one of the forms your vet can use to submit.

These are treatment options for Atypical Cushings, about which Dr. Oliver will advise after seeing which sex-steroid is the root of the problem.

Here is a link to UofTenn's endocrinology.

This is my fave Cushings overiew.

This is a yahoo group for Cushings; I don't post there, but I def recommend joining bc the archives are AMAZING, especially for Atypicals. There is a ton of info there, so try not to get too overwhelmed. I had a long learning curve in really understanding Cushings, and this is typical of other pet owners who are dealing w/ Cushings. It's a very complex disease (both diagnostically and in treatment), so it takes a while for things to move forward.

I've probably overwhelmed you enough already. But, I have many more Cushings sites I could give you...but the ones I've posted are the ones I ended up using the most (and still use).

There is another member I've been PMing with whose kiddo may also have Cushings, so I hope she too sees your thread. I'll PM her and point her here.

Best of luck, and your baby is in my thoughts.

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!