View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 03:27 PM   #1
fasteddie
YT 6000 Club Member

Default [News] Arrest in theft of 80-year-old woman's Yorkie

A man has been arrested for allegedly robbing an 80-year-old woman of her Yorkshire terrier in Alameda, but a second suspect and the dog haven't been found, authorities said Friday.

Christopher Perkins, 19, was arrested at a Stockton apartment Thursday night in connection with the robbery of Helen Bignone, said Alameda police Detective Aaron Hardy.

The robbery happened Saturday afternoon near Encinal Avenue and Fountain Street, when two men confronted Bignone as she walked with her dog, Deuce.

One of the men acted as if he had a gun and demanded both the dog and her purse, police said.

When Bignone refused, one of the men pulled the leashed dog away from her while the other grabbed her purse, police said.

The men fled in an Oldsmobile Cutlass Ciera, which police have found, Hardy said. The second suspect is still being sought.

The men used Bignone's credit cards at two East Oakland gas stations, the Coliseum Shell station near Interstate 880 and the Valero station on 98th Avenue near Interstate 580, police said.

There were signs that Deuce had been in the Stockton apartment, but Perkins told officers that he had already sold the dog, Hardy said.

Police believe Deuce may be in the Stockton, Tracy or Sacramento area. Perkins said the person who bought Deuce did not know the dog was stolen, according to police.

Perkins is being held at Alameda City Jail in lieu of $110,000. He was booked on suspicion of robbery and possessing a stun gun at the apartment.

Bignone voiced optimism that her beloved pet would be found.

"They're working so hard on it, I believe they're going to get him back, I really do," Bignone said, adding that she was "delighted" by the arrest.

"They have one of them, and I think they will have the other one," Bignone said. "I believe they will stay on it."

The stolen dog, a 6-year-old male, has a microchip implant that can identify it.

Anyone who wishes to donate to a reward fund can write a check made payable to "Deuce Reward" and deposit it at Bank of Alameda, 1416 Park St., Alameda, CA 94501.

Anyone with information about the dog's whereabouts is asked to call Alameda police at (510) 337-8340.

Read more: Arrest in theft of 80-year-old woman's dog

Last edited by admin; 11-06-2010 at 12:55 PM. Reason: Remove incorrect bank account number
fasteddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!