View Single Post
Old 10-25-2010, 12:04 PM   #3
larryc46
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Coughing Yorkie

DiorsMommy,

Please take your puppy to your vet as soon as possible, preferably to a vet that has some experience with treating Yorkies or other small dogs. A vet that has never treated a Yorkie may not be aware or up to date on the condition and treatment if indeed it is a collapsed trachea. They will need to do X-Rays as part of their diagnosis process so plan to spend a few bucks. If this is the final diagnosis at least you probably caught it early enough that you can treat or at least deal with it properly.

I don't mean to alarm you but this is a serious condition and if left untreated properly will end up in heartache for you and worse for Dior. My wife and I inherited a Yorkie from our daughter when she moved to an apartment but it was still considered her dog. We also have two Shih Tzu's that were his constant companions as well. I had been noticing a coughing, trying to catch his breath condition and I kept telling my daughter and wife that this is not normal and he needs to go to the vet. Had I just taken it upon myself to do it at that early stage, Yoda would probably still be waking me up every morning by standing on my chest with his nose to mine just waiting for me to open my eyes. Over the years it seems as though I have become a kind of pied piper to any pet brought into our home and with Yoda, it was no different. It wasn't until his condition became more acute that I finally took him to the vet only to get the diagnosis of a collapsed trachea. There is a surgery available for this but it is very expensive and the results are not as great as they should be.

Whatever the vet tells you to do I urge you to be very religious with your treatment regimen so you and Dior will have many years of fun, laughter and hilarity that these puppies can bring. The last thing you want to do is to see Dior looking up at you with those brown eyes asking why is this happening while they struggle to breath. Yoda was only 3 when I had to make the painful decision and that was several months ago. I am not now or nor will I probably ever be over the loss on this dog because of the impact he had on my life. I am a grown man but still I cannot write things like this or hardly even think about him without tears raining down my face.

I wish you nothing but the best of luck going forward.
larryc46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!