Thread: Dental
View Single Post
Old 10-12-2010, 03:16 PM   #6
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinniedoggy View Post
If you're not already doing so, please make sure to start a regular oral hygiene program at home with your little guy. I've been brushing Vinnie's teeth EVERY NIGHT for the past 7 years and I am so glad I've done so! He has only required two cleanings over the years and neither of them involved the removal of any teeth. He is 8 or 9 now and has perfectly white, healthy teeth. Unfortunately, Yorkies are really prone to bad teeth. Our old yorkie had almost no teeth by the time he was 8 and our friend's yourkie recently had to have most of her teeth removed at the age of 8. This kind of dental work is painful (both for your dog and your wallet). I spend about $10/month on toothbrushes and toothpaste for my two dogs. It takes me a total of about 2 minutes each night to brush their teeth. I spend more time than that on YorkieTalk!
Great advice! We have been brushing Barney and Daisy's teeth since they were 8 weeks old - both just turned 10 years old and Barney has never needed a cleaning and Daisy only needed one. I don't brush their teeth every night - I do it 2-3x a week. They eat many naturally crunchy fresh foods to help clean the teeth but otherwise they eat home cooked soft food.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!