View Single Post
Old 10-07-2010, 05:24 AM   #4
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RileyandPeyton View Post
Hello everyone!*

I'm actually new here and would really appreciate anyone's advice to what step I should be taking next or if you have any idea to what's exactly going on with my two babies! As an owner, I'm starting to get really worried.*

First let me start off that I've got 2 adorable Yorkies named Riley and Peyton both 1 year old. They're up to date with their shots and have been wormed since we've bought them.

Well, it started about two weeks and a half ago when they started experiencing sudden diarrhea. They've gone through this before but usually only lasted for a day due to possibly finding bad food from the house such as crumbs, but this lasted for a good 3-4 days! I found myself waking up every morning with messes under our bed (sleeps with us). I was eager to find the source to what could be a factor to their sudden diarrhea and it wasn't until the last minute when I finally figured out it was their Kibbles N Bits food! I researched it up and I wasn't the only concerned owner as a lot of dogs have had the same problems! I didn't know Kibbles N Bits were awful food. This brand was the only brand they enjoyed after trying other brands like Iams, Pedigree, etc.*

So I decided to try out what they call the bland dieting (not sure if that's how you really call it) with boiled rice. I was told with chicken but I wasn't comfortable with meat just yet so I decided to just boil rice and a little bit of carrots. The diarrhea stopped the same day and their poop was good for a week! I was relieved.

Since I did a lot of researching on what are the best food I should feed my yorkies, a lot have recommended regular human food. No flavoring, nada. I've made sure to read every guideline of what has been tested to eat and what not to eat when it came to meat, vegetables and fruits. So I have decided to simply just feed my dogs regular fresh food. I fed them brocolli, carrots, white meat chicken (skinless), and ground beef (hamburger as I've heard this was good for diarrhea). It was ground beef 80% lean and 20% fat. Also fed them scrambled eggs with tomatoes. I never add oil. Everything was cooked/boiled with water. Their poop was good for a week! *Until I decided to feed them scrambled egg that one morning.*

I work a lot so I drop them off at my mother in laws place. Well, that one day I fed them eggs, the diarrhea came back, I was informed from my mother in law after picking them up. I'm assuming they're lactose intolerant. I've observed their poop and both were wet and really dark brown almost black but when I cleaned it using the paper towel, it was definitely brown.

I fast them for about 12 hours to get rid of whatever it was upsetting their stomach. Of course they hardly pooped because they didn't have any food. Only once and it was still wet. So after fasting, i fed them boiled rice and chicken. Even fed them some pumpkin. Same procedure! I did this for about 3 days (10/3, 10/4, 10/5). However, their poo was starting to solidify. I mean, it was still wet but it was formed. Unlike before, when they poo, it was as if peeing out and it was messy. Yesterday morning I finally fed them Orijen (decided to finally stick to this brand food). And Peytons poo was finally solid, completely!*Riley hasn't gone yet but I'm thinking maybe his bowels are still adjusting. One problem though, it's 7 in the morning right now and Peytons poop is becoming a little wet again. She has gone under our bed 4 times since 2:30 this morning. Around 3 when she first went under the bed, poo was still solid. Around 4, she went under again and was still solid and then after that, it became as if she's having diarrhea all over again! I'm observing her as she does it by peeking under our bed and she's sniffing around vigorously as if it's uncontrollable. I clean it up and it's back where I started!*

It's still a little formed like in poo shape but wet! No longer solid! I don't know what to do. My Riley hasn't gone so I'm not sure how his poop will be. Usually when she's okay, he's okay the very same day. They're like twins.*

I'm not sure exactly if I should take him to the vet tomorrow Friday morning or if I should wait until Monday which is my day off to give it time to simply adjust? Please help! I'm also scared to bring them to the vet coz testings are expensive. But I just wanna know what's wrong with them. They're acting fine. No fever, nada. They are still very active. Never had blood in their diarrhea. Nothing out of the usual.

Does anyone have any idea? Any help will be appreciated!*

If it were my dogs, I'd already be at the vet.

It sounds to me like the Orijen food is the way to go. I'd pick a food and stick with it, and don't play around with the home cooking unless you have a professional helping you (and I'd only spend my money on a board certified veterinary nutritionist). Home cooking can be expensive and challenging and it requires a lot of commitment and some dogs do great on dog food their entire lives.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!