View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 02:36 PM   #10
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinniedoggy View Post
Sooooo....I have been avoiding prolonged use of prednisone and use of Atopica, as I'm really concerned about the side effects of both. But I cannot let this little guy suffer this way. I am really curious to hear from anyone who has used Atopica long-term and what side-effects have been experienced. Also, anyone else out there who has dealt with such severe allergies? Any advice?
Andrea, I understand what you're going through bc Marcel has allergies and sees a Derm. Don't be afraid to try medications, any moreso than you'd be afraid to use insulin for diabetes, or synthroid for Hypothyroid. You are correct (imo) in thinking "I can't let this little guy suffer" - especially when there are meds designed to give relief for this specific problem. Sure, we'd always prefer to avoid medications - but not when the symptoms are far worse than the risk of the medication. Also, his risk for pyoderma etc is so much higher if he keeps itching.

Anyway ! Marcel has been on Atopica for about 1.5 yrs, I think? And it was a god-send. Marcel used to wake up at 1am, 3am every night when pollens were bad - to bite his paws. He was so uncomfortable. He is only 3.3 pounds, and he is on the lowest available dose of Atopica - and he does incredible with it. Never a side effect this whole time. He takes it 3x week right now.

Our vet derm prefers Atopica to steroids, whenever possible. Of course, allergy shots are her first preference - and you're already on your way there . {btw, I start Marcel's shots this weekend!}

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!