View Single Post
Old 10-04-2010, 08:47 AM   #4
107barney
T. Bumpkins & Co.
Donating YT Member

I've used atopica for Daisy for 5 years now and I have not had any issues with it whatsoever. She is in the best medical condition of her life at 10 years old (notwithstanding her puppy mill breeding and the many medical challenges plaguing her such as IBD, liver disease, food allergies and food intolerances). I have experienced no side effects and I do complete superchemistry blood profiles a couple of times a year with her in addition to her general wellness care so I have proof that her organs are running on all cylinders.

If you have already ruled out a food allergy by an elimination diet regarding the protein sources, then I'd say give Atopica a try. I think if this were my dog, I'd try changing the protein source first. You are feeding three proteins at once so any of them could be the cause of a food allergy. Then you have to deal with food intolerances with the other things in the diet.

I will also note that my dogs were raised on natural home cooked food from age 8 weeks old. I have had issues with food intolerances, food allergies to multiple protein sources and forget dog food with my Daisy. I battled these symptoms and worse for many years and it is no fun. Antihistamines were a waste of my time and money.

She thrives on a natural vegetarian diet and Atopica. I am a minimalist when it comes to medications but this one has saved the day. I would likely forego any steroids so as to not suppress the immune system of my aging dogs, and these have not been recommended by our board certified veterinary dermatologist in our case.
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!