View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 06:59 PM   #3
DvlshAngel985
Donating YT 2000 Club Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lizzie07 View Post
You didn't say whether you had gotten him as an adult or a puppy. I am going to guess it was as an adult because it sounds like he wasn't taught how to play with a ball, or possibly a toy of any kind. You might try to get him to chase a stuffed toy that you trail along the ground.

Also, there are toys out there that velcro in the belly that you can put treats in, you could try to get him interested in a toy like that if he is food motivated. Then progress to other toys. I've had a lot of rescues that came from kennels and most never really got the hang of playing with toys.
I agree. A method of training really does matter on how he "grew up." If he's new to you, it could be that it will take him a while to open up and be his playful, vocal self. As far as vocal, I have one that doesn't bark also and I'm always told to count my blessings. He will bark when he's really excited, cry and whine when he wants something, or growl when he feels like he needs to warn me about something.

As far as a general training rule, there is consistency, positive reinforcement, and patience. You'd be surprised how far those three will take you. As far as toys go, they all have a preference. Kaji's friends go bonkers for these balloon animal type rubber toys that squeak and Kaji could care less. If it isn't a ball or a squeaky fuzzy something, Kaji won't play with it. It did take me months (like 6 or so) to get him to open up and play with toys. Kaji is a super shy dog and I've seen more success through persistence and going really slowly with him.

Last edited by DvlshAngel985; 07-16-2010 at 07:01 PM.
DvlshAngel985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!