View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 01:54 PM   #6
bently 1
Yorkie Yakker

Default Near dead Yorkie rescued:

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLC View Post
Phyllis Taiano manages to rescue near-dead Yorkie, but cases of animal abuse continue to surge

That's no way to treat a special New Yorkie.

"When I saw this little guy, my heart just sank," said Phyllis Taiano, of Jake, a 10-pound Yorkshire terrier, who was left for dead last week on 207th St., outside Inwood Park, with his long toenails embedded in his paws and bloody lesions covering his tiny body.

Taiano, who runs the nonprofit rescue group Four Paws Sake, pulled Jake from the Manhattan NYC Animal Care & Control shelter after reading an urgent e-mail plea to help the ailing dog sent by heartbroken shelter workers.

The 4-year-old pooch spent the week recovering at the Lefferts Animal Hospital in Jamaica, Queens, where owner and veterinarian David Halpern treated him for mange and bacterial infections.

"This is definitely a case of neglect," said Halpern, who believes Jake's skin may have been scorched by chemicals.

Once he's well enough to get back on his feet, Jake will need a foster home with someone willing to administer topical medications and gobs of TLC. The affectionate dog will eventually need a forever home.

Sadly, Jake is hardly the first dog to be neglected and abandoned, both acts of animal cruelty that are against state law, but on the rise.

In recent months, the ASPCA Humane Law Enforcement department reports an upswing in neglect cases by otherwise good pet owners struggling to provide pet care in these rough economic times, said HLE chief legal counsel Stacy Wolff.

"If you have a responsibility to the animal but fail to provide that care, it can be cruelty," Wolff said.

The group's new Partners in Caring program pairs with local vets to help financially strapped owners who may be neglecting their pets to prevent instances of abuse.

But many pet owners simply give up.

This year, Taiano's Middle Village-based group, which is run by a dozen volunteers, has already rescued and placed 36 dogs, most of which were abused, neglected or required medical care.

Her fiancé, Steve, an elevator repairman, finds many of the dumped dogs in his travels through Queens and Long Island. Last year, he found a German shepherd tethered on a leash at an abandoned woodworking shop on Atlantic Ave.

"I'm drawn to saving the underdog," said Taiano, 43, whose job as a trading assistant at Citigroup helps pay for the veterinary treatment that many of the dogs require.

Still, like many rescuers that work on a shoestring budget, she sometimes needs outside help.

Last year, Friends of Animal Rescue ponied up $800 to pay the medical bill for Rosie, a severely emaciated pit bull Taiano rescued who desperately needed surgery after being abused in a dogfighting ring.

The N.Y.C.-based nonprofit raised more than $80,000 last year, all of which went for medical care for needy animals, said Betsy Goldman, the group's president.

On Tuesday, the group hosts its second annual Buffet Dinner & Cruise aboard the 145-foot Atlantis, from 7 p.m. to 10 p.m., boarding from the Water Club at E. 30th St. For info, go to www.foar.org.

The Picasso Veterinary Fund also helps pay medical bills for rescued animals. For info, visit Welcome to the Picasso Veterinary Fund! - The Picasso Veterinary Fund of the Mayor's Alliance for NYC's Animals

Meanwhile, in lieu of donations to help pay for Jake's care, Taiano is asking readers to adopt a needy dog.

"Use that money by heading down to one of the three Animal Care & Controls facilities in New York City, and save a dogs life," she said.

For information, go to Four Paws Sake Rescue, NYC and www.nycacc.org.amy.sacks2@gmail.com

Read more: Phyllis Taiano manages to rescue near-dead Yorkie, but cases of animal abuse continue to surge

Hello, I just want to thank you for having such a great heart in rescuing that little dog for now he will have a second chance. In January 2010, was able to adopt a mini pic cross puppy of 7 months old. He was found as a stray at weeks of age and when handled by human hands he would scream. Now that little guy named Buster is a happy, very loved pooch that is my certified companion canine due to the disabilities I have. He travels with me and now loves being in the company of humans.At present thinking about adopting a special needs dog for Buster has medical needs that a normal home could not cope with. God bless you. Bently 1.
bently 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!