View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 07:11 PM   #9
QuickSilver
Thor's Human
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mardelin View Post
Hi,

Let me begin with saying I use to live in Huntington Beach just the next city over from you.

Understanding this is your mother's home, you haven't stated whether you have always lifed with your mother or have just moved in. I understand your frustration with your mother not working with you to train these pups. But, there can be underlying factors, her feeling this is her home and she'll run it the way she wants and the fact that she's the mother and you're the daughter.

I'm sure she's pretty level headed and if you sat down with her and explained the need and benefits of having trained, well behaved dogs, she'd listen. But, you both have to listen and come to an understanding and a plan of action. Mothers and daughters have the tendancy to buck heads....it's a territorial, independence thing.......so, that being said, you both have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to each other.....in the best interest of the dogs. After all you don't want animal control assending on your door step and removing the dogs....

You know, I've always assumed there are deep psychological issues which keep mothers and daughters at odds... but seeing how unspayed female dogs react around each other, maybe we're just biologically predisposed to be territorial.

But yes, I agree with Mardelin, there's probably more going on that just disagreements on training. I do think you can train these dogs on your own, even if you can't get your mother to go along. Remember, you can influence others, but only change yourself.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!