View Single Post
Old 07-11-2010, 07:06 PM   #8
Mardelin
Mardelin Yorkshire Terriers
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by espplayer7 View Post
Ok here is the story. We have a 3 and a half year old yorkie who is SOMEWHAT trained. She knows sit stay come and she listens to them SOMETIMES. We just got a s**tzu Maltese mix about months ago and she is NOT TRAINED. I live with my mother who ADORES these dogs (I do to but they NEED TO BE TRAINED. The problem is they are completely out of control. They bark EXCESSIVELY because they always get there way with her. This is how she punishes. She will do a quick firm NO and then pick them up and lovey dubby on them "oh babies... :kisses: :kisses:. I try to tell her to ignore them when she first gets in the door (just for a minute or two) to let them know that they do not rule the roost and she doesn't. The barking literally drives me crazy because it is SO LOUD and it is SO CONSTANT until they get their way. She says its "normal". Well I am sorry that is a load of :beep: I have NEVER seen any dogs bark like this. I cannot even have company over without them jumping all over the entire room and guests like they just had a bowl of red bull. The problem I have with teaching them is they run to her everytime I try to punish them. If I talk to her about it she says "THEY ARE JUST PUPPIES...or THEY ARE JUST PLAYING.... or some new excuse every time to do ABSOLUTELY NOTHING. Im sorry but it is making me so angry because the barking LITERALLY HURTS YOUR EARS and it is probably causing damage to them lol. Anyways help me out, what do I do? These are the most hyper dogs I have EVER seen and it seems like its impossible to train them if she is just going to come home every night to their "rescue" from mean me. Do not get me wrong, I love on them all the time to but for god sakes they need to be disciplined and they need to stop the rediculous barking for NO REASON (if their is a possum or if a new face comes its ok to bark a little, but they do it sometimes for no reason and whenever a door opens, garage opens.... etc. My mother is making me feel like I am a jerk or I am cruel (by punishing, I do not hit them or anything like that, just timeout or pick them up by the fat of the back of their neck).

BTW they are pretty much only in their cage at night to sleep. She always says also "its because they are in their cage". I get so mad at that because first off I give them attention during the day AND punish/ try to discipline them until it all gets UNdone when she comes home. Then I tell her... what would happen if I wasn't here all day and they were in their cage ALL day. What about the trained dogs that know when they are in their cage they are NOT IN CHARGE. HELPPPPPPP!!!
Hi,

Let me begin with saying I use to live in Huntington Beach just the next city over from you.

Understanding this is your mother's home, you haven't stated whether you have always lifed with your mother or have just moved in. I understand your frustration with your mother not working with you to train these pups. But, there can be underlying factors, her feeling this is her home and she'll run it the way she wants and the fact that she's the mother and you're the daughter.

I'm sure she's pretty level headed and if you sat down with her and explained the need and benefits of having trained, well behaved dogs, she'd listen. But, you both have to listen and come to an understanding and a plan of action. Mothers and daughters have the tendancy to buck heads....it's a territorial, independence thing.......so, that being said, you both have to be in the right frame of mind to listen to each other.....in the best interest of the dogs. After all you don't want animal control assending on your door step and removing the dogs....
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!