View Single Post
Old 04-26-2010, 04:52 AM   #111
xmasbaby75
YT Graphic Artist
Donating Member

Default Thank you

I just wanted to say thank you to all for your kind words and support. Also, to those who have sent me pm's, I sincerely appreciate that, I just have not been able to respond. A special thank you to Cathy (107Barney) for posting this, when I could not.

I am still quite shocked, angry, and confused, but I know in time it will get a little easier. The rest of the yorkies really need us now, so it has been really hard being sad and depressed around them, when they too know that something is just not right.

For those of you who've I scared to death about vaccinations, I'd just like to give you a little information. First of all, what happened to my Brandi was extremely rare, as three vets confirmed this. I really hope I do not ever have to read about something like this happening again. Brandi was a perfectly healthy, 2 1/2 year old baby, and now she is gone.

Here are the facts:

1. She was given the DHPP (Distemper, Hepatitis, Parvo, & Parainfluenza)vaccine. She was also give an anti-inflammatory steroid shot (Azium also known as Dexamethasone) because it was known that she had a reaction last year, and this steroid was supposed to prevent/counteract any reaction. The vet said this is the first time this steroid shot did not work, and they were baffled by this.

2. Last year (her first adult shots), she was given the DHPP, along with rabies, and bordetella. She had a reaction, and was rushed back to the vet and was given the steroid shot, and she came right around. We assumed it was either the rabies or bordetella that caused it, since they are more likely to cause these kinds of reactions.

3. Here is something I did not know - if a dog has EVER had a reaction to ANY vaccine in the past, the chances go up for something like this to happen, as the reactions tend to get worse and worse with each one.

4. Please, if your dog has ever had a reaction, and is over 1 1/2 years old, ask your vet about titers. I was never given this option. Also, some vets (mine included) give the DHPP every year - when it is actually a 3 year vaccine. I really wish I had know that beforehand. My vet has since reconsidered, and is changing the way he does vaccines since my Brandi.

My intention is not to scare you, I just want you all to have the facts that I did not have. If your dog has never had a reaction, there is a very good chance that he never will - but for those of you who have dogs with previous reactions, you have options!! The DHPP is not even required by law (something else I just found out). Also, even though the rabies vaccine is required by law - if your dog has had a previous reaction to it - your vet can sign a waiver for you - so your dog will not have to have it.

I will be around YT if anyone has anymore specific questions. I know how scary this is, and I just want to prevent this from ever happening again. Thank you all again. I really do not think I'd be able to get through this if it weren't for all my friends and my four other furbabies.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!