View Single Post
Old 03-26-2010, 12:18 PM   #8
Nancy1999
I ♥ Joey & Ralphie!
Donating Member

You going to read more and more propaganda put out about microchips because of state laws wanting it to become mandatory. Commercial breeders are fighting it big time; they do not want dogs traced back to them. Dog-fighting enthusiasts are also concerned about mandatory microchiping, right now they can just deny the badly beaten dog is theirs.

This makes me so angry on so many levels. Pet owners don't always know whom to believe, and not everyone is familiar with the difference in scientific studies. Many people see all scientific studies as being equal, however, studies are far from equal, and a the design of the study is very important in showing impartiality.
Here's one of the newest studies, done by real scientists.
Quote:
Conclusions
The use of microchips in pets is a safe, effective, and
durable means of identification that has been used
globally in millions of animals for nearly 2 decades. To
date, the entire global database of sarcoma development
in microchipped dogs is limited to a single case report
involving 1 animal.
Furthermore, though low incidences
of vaccine-related sarcoma development have been
documented in cats (even more rare in dogs), microchip associated
sarcoma development has never been
reported in felines. In the context of millions of microchip
implantations spread over many years, this near absence
of adverse event documentation comprises an impressive
and expansive safety record. Therefore, the benefits of
microchip implantation with regard to the safety and
welfare of pets should they become lost or separated
from their owner have proven to be infinitely greater than
the remote and unsubstantiated risk of tumor development
associated with microchip implantation. http://www.digitalangel.com/document...%2002%2007.pdf
Quote:
Any foreign material injected carries some risks. However, the risks of are extremely minimal compared to the risk of your pet becoming lost. Veterinarians have been implanting microchips in animals for years, and the process has been proven to be very safe. The chip is made out of an inert, biocompatible substance, which means it won’t cause an allergic reaction in your furry friend, and it won’t degenerate over time. The first versions of the microchip would sometimes migrate from where they were injected, but manufacturers now design the chips with antimigrating properties. When they’re implanted properly, today’s chips won’t migrate. Once they’re in place, they won’t move around or get near any delicate tissues or organs. You can help make sure the microchip heals securely by keeping your pet calm and quiet for the 24 hours following injection. Because the microchip is placed just under the skin and not internally, microchip reading is completely safe as well. Microchipping
I hope Yorkietalkerswill not be a part of spreading rumors concerning the safety of microchips, literally millions of dogs have been microchiped, and only one case has documented as tumor involvement. I'm not familiar with the case cited above, but I don't think we should automatically believe it to be true, until independent resources confirm it. Even then, it's would be only 2 dogs out of millions, and please don't forget that COMERCIAL BREEDERS ARE FIGHTING THIS LEGISTLATION, and want to get pet owners outraged and scared, so that the legislation doesn't pass. Don't fall for the trap!

Last edited by Nancy1999; 03-26-2010 at 12:20 PM.
Nancy1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!