View Single Post
Old 03-25-2010, 06:10 AM   #14
Marilize
YT 500 Club Member

I agree with everything being said here. I think that adoption centers need to be stringent - if it was me, I would be too. But I think another big part of the solution would be to employ an animal behaviourist who could work with the new owner and explain the dog's behaviour. Then maybe the new owners would be able to make sure that the dog fit with them and they with the dog.

When Cash was about 5 months old, he drove me insane. He peed on my pillows, he would get into the garbage and spread it all over the flat, he would run away with my clothes when I try to get dressed (it's only cute when you are not in a hurry!) and he never listened to me.
I very nearly gave him away. I was so close to the breaking point. But I decided to use half of my allowance (student) to get Cash some more training. We joined a clicker training class and now he is my best buddy. Btw, he came from a terrible breeder who hacked off his tail with a blunt knife, so he had his fair share of issues!

Sorry for the long post. My point is this: We need to educate the community on dog behaviour and dog training and then maybe the new owners will be able to keep their new dogs.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!