View Single Post
Old 02-15-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Wylie's Mom
Furbutts = LOVE
Donating Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 107barney View Post
My dogs know what a lawyer is because their Momma is one. Teddy Bumpkins is a lawyer-in-training as well. Barney's in law enforcement and Daisy wants nothing to do with this boring stuff - she is in the retail doggie item business. All kidding aside --

I'm not an animal lawyer, but wanted to point out that some courts are starting to recognize animals should be deemed to be more than mere property. They seem to suggest a dog/cat is more than mere property but they don't go as far as we pet owners would like them too. It's been a few years since I looked at this issue but I've seen some references in various resources where courts are saying that people should be "guardians" of their animals which implies a relationship more than that of a piece of property as guardians are usually required to act in the best interests of the person for whom they are guardians. In addition, many states allow you to set up (and fund) a trust for the care of your animal when you pass on. This seems to be where courts are finding that pets are "more than mere property."

We still have a long way to go despite these decisions. And Ghandi said it best - we just have to ask ourselves how we measure up.
“The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.”
- Mohandas Gandhi
Teddy Bumpkins will have our business !

Great post. Btw, that post is one of my very favorites! (I'm a quote junkie)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nico29 View Post
I'm so glad to hear this. Those courts on the right track. If owners are the guardians, then I hope that eventually we will be able to sue in cases where negligence has resulted in tragedies for our babies. In my opinion, they deserve the same rights (or at least close to) that we have. Maybe it's just a dream but perhaps eventually laws will be passed. Teddy Bumpkins, Esq (in training) might find some good clients here. Barney--keep all the bad guys away and Daisy...good luck in the retail business!
If it's just a dream...I like the way you dream, my friend ! I would also be in support of effective legislation for animals, pet "guardians", and also reputable breeders. (but not Mills)

°¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨° Ann | Pfeiffer | Marcel Verdel Purcell | Wylie | Artie °¨¨¨°ºOº°¨¨¨°
Wylie's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!