View Single Post
Old 08-19-2009, 06:19 AM   #13
pfranson
YorkieTalk Newbie!

Default Ok -- my last post about my time in Kaufman...

As a UAN EARS volunteer, my job was care and feeding of the animals. Basically, you go through the cages, you feed, then you come back and clean. Rinse, repeat.

As you go, you assess those that need immediate attention from the vets (again, amazing people). There is very little time per dog, but you find the time to hold them, to talk to them, to try and let them know that someone does really care.

On one of the cleaning runs, my partner was working a bottom cage with 2 yorkies. Suddenly, she stood up and told me to run and get a vet and disposable cat litter pan with a puppy pad in it.

When I got back to the cage, she reached up and gently set a newborn puppy into the cat pan. The vet arrived, and we figured out which one was the mom (as the vet said, "I don't think it's him"), and moved him into a cage of his own, then rushed the mom (who was starting to deliver another puppy) into the maternity area.

That afternoon, as we went through the cages, I visited the boy. He was so scared, and yet so sweet (licking my hand as I cleaned his cage). He truly touched me.

I left the shelter on Sunday (I had to go back to work), but my wife stayed behind. She called me on Monday to tell me that the boy had not been claimed by any rescue organizations, and did I want to adopt him. We got the paperwork filled out and set up. She bought a travel crate.

Fast forward to last night. Mrs. Boyd had been boarding 8 dogs among her "inventory", and the Judge had stated that the owners of those dogs had until 6:00 on Tuesday to claim them. A woman came forward at 5:45pm. She had the paper work, she had his microchip number. He was 3 months old -- he had been in this hideous place for 1/3 of his life. He was matted to the skin. But he was hers, and we had to release him to her.

Sorry about the maudlin post -- just needed to vent a little.
pfranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!