View Single Post
Old 07-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #1
Judy in Waco
Gizzy & Kandi spoil me
Donating Member

Default [News] Pet-only airline PetAirways launches service for pampered 'paws-engers'

Pet-only airline PetAirways launches service for pampered 'paws-engers'

Pet-only airline PetAirways launches service for pampered 'paws-engers'
BY ZAC FAILLA AND DAVE GOLDINER
DAILY NEWS WRITERS
Tuesday, July 14th 2009, 3:13 PM

It's going to be a ruff landing every time this airline flies.
The nation's first pet-only airline took off from a Long Island airport Tuesday vowing to provide kennel-in-the-sky service for pampered paws-engers.
"It's great to know he'll get there safely and we don't have to worry," said Jim Gentilini, 62, of Binghamton, NY, who was checking in his daughter's chocolate lab named Bear.
PetAirways offers free in-flight pet treats, comfy crates, and a climate-controlled cabin.
There's no lines for bathrooms - Fido can do his business right on the floor.
"People actually called to ask my dog's preferences," Heather Donaheu, 34, of Sacramento. "I've never gotten that kind of customer service on a human airline."
The idea for the fur-friendly airline came when CEO Dan Wiesel had to check his Jack Russell terrier into the cargo hold on a cross country flight.
"It was stressful for me and it was stressful for the dog," said Wiesel, of Delaney, Fla.
PetAirways is starting out with a single Beechcraft plane that once seated 19 "two-leggers."
The plane was gutted to provide space for 50 pets.
A veterinary assistant will ride on every flight along with the pilot and co-pilot.
The airline is starting out by flying once a week from Republic Airport in Farmingdale to Baltimore, Chicago, Denver and Los Angeles.
"It's awesome - the dogs are treated like children," said Monica Frate, a pet sitter from Darien, Conn., who was dropping off her boss' beagles Suki and Gopi.
"It's cool they have their own airline."
Tickets start at $149. For now, the airline is only taking dogs and cats, but is looking into accepting birds and "exotic animals" as well.
One high-class pup rolled up to the airport with his family in a chauffeur-driven Cadillac Escalade.
Most of the pet-owners said they wouldn't consider letting Spot fly in the cargo hold on a regular airline.
Donaheu said Vito, her Australian border collie, is too precious to get tossed around like Samsonite.
"He's a member of our family," she said. "He's certainly not cargo and he's not a suitcase."
Gentilini said it beats flying coach or even business class.
"The animals are getting treated better than I do on most flights," he said.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!