View Single Post
Old 03-23-2009, 04:10 PM   #13
yorkiesmiles
Donating YT 4000 Club Member

Default Owner Returns To Witness Stand In Puppy Mill Trial

Owner Returns To Witness Stand In Puppy Mill Trial

Owner Returns To Witness Stand In Puppy Mill Trial - wcco.com

FERGUS FALLS, Minn. (WCCO) ―

The woman who owns a dog breeding facility in New York Mills, Minn. took the stand once again on Monday morning, denying she ever hurt her animals.

Kathy Bauck is charged with six counts of cruelty and neglect. She breeds dogs at her facility, Pick of the Litter, and she also sells dogs on the Internet.

She continued testifying in the Otter Tail County Courthouse in Fergus Falls, Minn. on Monday morning. Bauck put blame on the man who she hired and took undercover video of her operation; his name is Jason Smith.

The group CAPS, or Companion Animal Protection Society, hired Smith to take a job with Bauck, record the video and send it to them.

The video shows dogs emaciated or too thin, along with some that were dehydrated and weak. The video has angered animal rights activists and made others cry, but Bauck said it doesn't tell the whole story of what's been going on at her kennel.

She said the problems started when Smith started working for her in April 2008. He was an employee from April to May in 2008.

"I had never seen dog fights in the 25 years I've raised dogs, than the time that man was at my kennel. I reprimanded him several times, because so many things were happening under his watch," she testified in court.

As seen on the video, the eye of one dog was bulging out, and the skin of others missing. Bauck claimed Smith purposely grouped males together with one female, so they'd attack each other. She also claimed he broke the system that supplies water to dogs.

Bauck remained defiant during cross-examination, even looking angry at times. The Assistant Otter Tail County Attorney drilled Bauck about her log book which shows medical records of the dogs. She claimed Smith stole that book.

The prosecutor pressured the issue of inaccurate record-keeping. She also painted Bauck as a woman who was not in control of her facility, its employees and how her dogs were being handled and treated.

The undercover video shows a dog dipped in insecticide licking its lips. Animal rights group claim it's a "very dangerous" and "cruel act" that can even be deadly if swallowed.

Bauck explained for the first time that she dunked her dogs in insecticide to protect them from flees, mites and other small pets. When asked about dunking them completely in the solution of water and insecticide, she denied the heads of the animals ever got wet.

The fourth full day of testimony is now over and the jury might get the animal cruelty and neglect case sometime before noon on Tuesday. They'll decide what punishment, if any, Kathy Bauck will receive.
yorkiesmiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!