View Single Post
Old 03-22-2008, 10:09 PM   #1
Erin
Donating YT 1000 Club Member

Default Sammy's LP Surgery Update - 2 days after surgery

Hey! OK Sammy had LP surgery on Thursday. She was supposed to stay overnight but they got her surgery done early so she was able to come home the same day! The night was hard but we knew it would be. She was in pain and she couldn't figure out why these big things were on her legs. We all had to figure out how on earth she was supposed to pee !?! I tried a pee-pad and she just looked at me like I was crazy. Of course we got like an inch of snow so it was wet and cold outside, but we gave up and took her out there and she peed! She's gone out like every 4-5 hours no problem and she even pooped outside this afternoon!! I had to hold her up but she did it. It was a team effort.

They didn't want to send her home until she was up standing and walking on the bandages, and she wasn't, but we encouraged her and we have been practicing and she has really started to move quickly! I need to take a video.

Overall we are so lucky. So far she has not had a reaction to the pain meds - no diarrhea. They do wear off about 2 hours before she can have more though and they take a while to kick in. Oh and she did try to lick/chew one of the bandages but we are watching her very closely now. But she is alert and silly and barking at us when we don't pay attention to her.

-----------------------

OK so AS I'm typing this she needs to go outside and she pees blood. So 6 hours later we are home from the ER vet and she has a UTI. We knew it couldn't go perfectly smooth... poor thing she is exhausted and so are we. I'm too wired now to sleep so she is snuggled up next to me and I'm posting pictures anyway.

Here she is the night we got home, then sitting pretty, chewing a bully stick, and trying to walk.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Sammy1.jpg (46.9 KB, 90 views)
File Type: jpg Sammy 2.jpg (43.8 KB, 80 views)
File Type: jpg Sammy3.jpg (50.7 KB, 98 views)
File Type: jpg Sammy4.jpg (47.0 KB, 61 views)
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!