View Single Post
Old 03-11-2008, 09:07 AM   #1
diggy4
Bella Boo & Diggy Too!
Donating GS Member

Exclamation Bella's trip to Hospital

Okay what you don't wanna hear....but PLEASE listen.

First I suggest throwing away all Bullies & Flossies.

It started last week Diggy got the poops. I went to bland diet & lots of fluids. He seemed fine but still had the poops. Took in fecal sample came back clear. Sunday at 4pm Bella puked, by 6 puking every hour, by 8 wouldnt walk very legthargic so off to the hospital we went. They drew blood and handed her back to me she wa squirming so i took her outside and she pooped PURE blood, violently. I ran her back in and screamed take her help her!!! They hooked her to Iv and ran a ton of tests. From acting perfectly normal to this in 5 hours pointed towards her getting into something which I KNEW she didnt.
Pancreatic Lipase Test was normal.
CBC Hemoconcentration, increased Lipase.
Low blood count
Fecal Cytology Large # of Clostridium, large # of rods.
Lateral and V/D Abdominal Radiographs Mild belly gas, Large amount of gas in colon.
3-5% dehydrated.

She was going into hypovolemic shock.

Diagnosis Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis
Clostridium Overgrowth

So she had to stay the night in hospital...and at 7:30 am I checked her out and transported her to my regular vet where they also admitted her.

after she was admitted I ran home got Diggy because BOTH dr.s said this is contagious

Grabbed Diggy ran all the tests on him also and sure enough he had it too. Not nearly as bad as Bella. They injected fluids in him and prescribed antibiotics and a belly medicine. So he got to go home with me.

Bella stayed all day at the vet and they released her to me at 5:30 pm last night. They are on a special antibiotic probably nothing you heard of as we are lucky enough to have a compounding company here so this script would have been a special order but I could get it right away, I/D Hills diet, Kaolin Pectate for belly and poops, and LOTS of fluids.

So i have pedialyte & pedialyte popsicles that i offer every 1/2 hour or so.
She is eating well but not thrilled about drinking so its a constant battle.

Diggy is very normal again pooping solid already but i still try and get him to drink a lot too.

So you prolly have figured out with the THROW AWAY BULLIES AND FLOSSIES that thats where all this started. And it is. The bacteria grows on the bullies after they chew them and they turn to much...then they go back and chew again.

There is a lot of info on the net about this if your interested in reading up google Clostridium.

Please educate yourself on this and know the warning signs/symptoms

Bella went from fine to the start of hypovolemic shock in a matter of hours. I dont wish this on anyone PLEASE learn about this and make an educated decision before giving your dogs Bullies or Flossies. And if your sitting there saying my dogs have never had a problem and we have given these for years....SO DID I never had 1 issue til now.

I hear some people on here complaining about vet bills at times and how tough they are to pay and I AGREE!!!!! So simply educating yourself on this could save you WELL over $1,000 in vets bills in less than 24 hours over a simple 5.00 flossy.
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!