View Single Post
Old 02-26-2008, 05:48 AM   #7
tpaxton23
Donating YT Addict

It does sound like he may have a collapsed trachea. One of my two year old yorkies, Dylan, was diagnosed with a collapsed trachea after his neuter surgery at 8 months old. Collapsed trachea's are genetic. I have never used anything but a harness on mine and he still developed the collapse.

5 to 10 minutes is a long time for an episode. I can usually get Dylan to stop honking if I pick him up and calm him or distract him by getting him to smell something. I've been told the more they cough the more damage it causes so it's better if you can try to shorten the episode.

There is also medicine that they can prescribe to quiet the cough but my vet doesn't want him on anything until his condition worsens and he really needs the medicine. A humidifier should help turtle and we also use nebulizer treatments at night that have seemed to help. Dylan starts honking whenever he gets excited which is about 10 to 15 times a day. His episodes usually do not last longer then a minute (except bathtime ones).

I hope your vet can help Turtle. I followed their story and was so glad that they were finally rehomed together. PM me if I can help in any way.
tpaxton23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!