View Single Post
Old 07-13-2005, 06:17 AM   #14
River
Senior Yorkie Talker

Hi and welcome! I am new here also, only been a member for a few days. People here are great and I love reading the new posts. Indiana is my first Yorkie but not my first dog. Every dog I've had has been different when it comes to training, but the one piece of advice I'd give you is DON'T GIVE UP no matter how long it takes! I had one dog (Shepherd and Wolfhound mix) that trained in 2 days at 8wks. Never made a mistake after that! The Golden is lovable but a little, well, mentally challenged? Anyway, did the same things with her but took her almost 3 months to get it. My Jack Russell was the first terrier experience. Terriers look at the world differently, you don't own them, they own you and you just have to work with that. She's smart enough, just didn't care to comply with the routine. Took a couple months with her too. The Yorkie puppy I have now is also really bright, but we're still working at it and I've had him for 2 1/2 months. He's crate trained, and whenever I can't give him my full attention I put him in his crate(he can be in there a couple hours without an accident). Otherwise he's out with me in my family room only and I WATCH him. I take him out every 15min if he's playing hard with the other dogs or it's hot and he's been drinking, every 1/2 hour if he's just chewing on something and being quieter. By watching him I've learned his body language and can pick up when it's time to go out. For example, he hasn't quite gotten the sequence: have to go, door, outside, potty, inside, cookie. Right now we have, sometimes door ( a little cruise by and look at it, ok not opening in 1 second I'll just use the floor), outside, potty(pretty much goes every time outside), inside and cookie. If I've been paying attention and get the cruise by door, he goes out no problem, but if I miss that, I'll be cleaning up the floor. PERSISTANCE! One really important step it that when they potty outside MAKE A BIG FUSS! My husband says I'm pathetic. I get down on the ground with him and get excited and tell him good potty pee or good potty poo. Make him feel like he just did the best thing! Also, I never punish him for mistakes I don't catch him in the act of doing. If I catch him in the act I clap my hands and say NO! and then pick him up and take him outside til he finishes out there, then get down with him and praise him. Mistakes I don't see until they are over I just clean up. That's frustrating, but if you try and punish them after the fact they have no idea what they did and get confused They'll be plenty of mistakes, just don't give up. As for eating the poo, I think there's some stuff you can buy that you put on his food, it makes his poo smell bad to him and he won't eat it. Ask your vet! Find his routine and stick with it, the older he gets the better it goes if you've been consistant. Sorry this is long. Hope this helps, good luck!
River is offline   Reply With Quote
Welcome Guest!
Not Registered?

Join today and remove this ad!